The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 14 May 2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Pam 164?

I searched this forum and the Rolex forum for "164" and I scanned the past few months' thread titles for the PAM 164 and didn't see it....

Any of the Panerai faithful have an opinion on this model they'd care to share?

Thanks.....

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2010, 10:37 PM   #2
SDDS17
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP2-42, DJ2, SMPO
Great watch with a unique dial. It's always nice to have something different from the pack. Had one for a couple years, and regret selling it. One of the few watches I regret selling everytime I see one!!!! Go for it unless you truly like the non-arabic hour markers. Great looking watch for the price as well. Good luck with your decision!!
SDDS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I've always liked the 164, even though I prefer sandwich dials.
Essentially, its the same as the 104 apart from the dial and the brushed case. Ben (fishrising) has one... http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=97803

You may be interested in the soon-to-be-released 359, which has an in-house auto movement with 3 days power reserve, and a sandwich dial. Point to note is that it is a 312 variant with the '1950' case (polished). Short vid thereof... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJocdlogq6I

Cheers
Old 14 May 2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Cru Jones

Thanks for the feedback. What drew me to the 164 was its brushed steel case, and I kinda like the numbers on the dial.

What I'm looking for is a basic model (no GMT or other extra features needed) brushed steel case with, ideally, a sandwich dial. I need to get my feet wet before spending big bucks on a PAM.

I don't seem to be able to find it....The 312 seems to come closest, but it has a date function. I think the simple, clean dial of the PAM is at its best without the date....
Old 15 May 2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

There are some titanium cases (such as the 176/177) with a brushed finish. I'm not a Ti fan, so would rather have polished SS. The 111 is great watch if you are happy with manual winding. A brushed case would make it perfect for me, but that polished Luminor case (with brushed crown guard) is very nice...

Cheers
Old 15 May 2010, 12:50 AM   #6
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
There are some titanium cases (such as the 176/177) with a brushed finish. I'm not a Ti fan, so would rather have polished SS. The 111 is great watch if you are happy with manual winding. A brushed case would make it perfect for me, but that polished Luminor case (with brushed crown guard) is very nice...

Cheers

Thanks very much for the continued advice-giving. Appreciated.

Yes, the 111 is almost perfect. I don't mind the manual wind, especially since it's a no date model, but, as you stated, it's polished steel only.....Also, the 111 gives me pause b/c it doesn't have the quick strap change system, when even the 104 does...

These subtle differences between models is interesting to learn about, but also a little annoying since it seems so hard to get exactly what you want.

The hunt continues....
Old 15 May 2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Psmith
"TRF" Member

My pleasure... and here is a vid demonstrating the two strap changing systems... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9R5XeGPGdo

I know what you mean - my perfect PAM would be a 111 with a brushed case and the quick strap change system. The screw system is still pretty quick & easy though, and arguably more secure.

Cheers